AmTrac.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 1st AmTrac Battalion, 3rd Marine Division > The AmGrunts - Vietnam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oceanview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pluffmudder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pluffmudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oceanview
    Posted: 06-Feb-2010 at 13:35
Just finished book titled "Praying for Slack" -- written by Robert Peavey, a Marine M-48 tank commander who spent a good deal of time at C-4 and Oceanview. Describes the place quite thoroughly and has photos. Easy and interesting read.
hugh View Drop Down

Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 12:41

After reading your post, I bought the book.  I agree with your review and recommend it to other AmGrunts.

For those of us who also spent time in DaNang, the first part of the book covers familiar territory... Hill 55, Hoi An, Hill 327, several of the bridges, etc.

The only mistake I found in the book, was when he inadvertently included Cua Viet as one of the four corners of Leatherneck Square.  It should have been Con Thien, Gio Linh, Dong Ha and Cam Lo.  However, when Googling Leatherneck Square just now, I did come across the same mistake on a site called Answers.com. Here's their blurb:

Marine Corps Dictionary:

Leatherneck Square

(Vietnam)The area south of the DMZ with the following outposts as its corners: Con Tien (NW), Cam Lo Hill (SW), Cua Viet (SE) and Gia Linh (NE). Later in the war the Marines built "Ocean View" to the east of Gia Lihn along the ocean for better control of enemy troop movement.
Semper Fi,

Hugh
pluffmudder View Drop Down

Quote pluffmudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 15:17
Hugh:

You are correct. There are some errors in the book -- as there are in many. On a couple of them, I went back on the author -- and he verbally retracted. The biggest, to me and to us, was the way in which he described "the lowly Amtracers" assigned to the tanks as crew members in his Company. He said he really didn't mean to come across that poorly. The other, which I found humorous, was that he talks about the role of his tank (and others) "in support of the Grunts" holding Oceanview. When I told him those were Amtracers and we owned that TAOR, he was amazed. He never knew that before now. Swore it was an Infantry platoon up there. Good disguise!

Richard
hugh View Drop Down

Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 15:23
Yeah... I had the same reaction about the "grunts" at Oceanview as soon as he discussed the "grunt" that just happened to have a line charge available.Smile
Semper Fi,

Hugh
Yankee 49er View Drop Down

Quote Yankee 49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 18:31
Wasn't Oceanview also known as A1?

Dan
hugh View Drop Down

Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 18:54
No... It was never officially part of the Strong Point Obstacle barrier system.

Hill 31 was A-1.   On the other hand C-4 was C-4.Smile
Semper Fi,

Hugh
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 01:10
n/a

Edited by 2 Beer - 08-May-2011 at 18:55
Yankee 49er View Drop Down

Quote Yankee 49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 18:45
Ron

Thanks for the info. 

I mulled over how I was not aware of the Oceanview and other AO data points during my tour

At first I thought,  I was a H&S Comm Tech and never got north of C-4.
But that was too easy.  I am a tech and have spent my career since Nam working in engineering.  I am into detail.

So then I thought, maybe I missed a meeting where there was a definition of our position and basic requirements.  I don't remember such meetings in 18 mos. except when we stood down in 69.

I was just a corporal at the end and was not privy to senior leadership and their vision.

I have never looked at my tour in this way before your response.

I guess it is a credit to all of us Amgrunts that we did our job with the information we had in hand.  And maybe that information was all that we required.

Reeb 
showhorseman View Drop Down

Quote showhorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 22:49
Hey Pluffmudder, I have a picture of my sorry ass Marine Corporal existing to this day,  sitting on that so-called decrepit bridge across Jones Creek.  I crossed the damn thing many times late at night and came back across it in the darkness of morning taking patrols out into the patties and up along the west bank of Jones Creek into Nhi Ha!  Left the Corps, Sgt. James J Landis 2374628  Alpha Co. 1st Platoon  Dec. 67 to Jul 69.
 Post Reply Post Reply